05 Nov 2017 Employer: Global Compact Office (United Nations) Job location: New York USA Apply before: 9 Dec 2017
This position is located in the Global Compact Office in the Secretariat of the UN at Headquarters. The Chief of Programmes, Senior Programme Officer, reports to the Executive Director of the UN Global Compact. The focus of this job is to lead and direct implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and policy development in the Global Compact Office.
Within delegated authority, and under the guidance of the Executive Director of the UN Global Compact, the Chief of Programmes, Senior Programme Officer, will be responsible for the following duties:
• Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate the programmatic work of the UN Global Compact.; directs a team of substantive experts in the areas of environmental, societal and economic development; implements, monitors and assesses the development of Global Compact projects in relation to the implementation of the 10 principles and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; directs review of relevant documents and reports on corporate sustainability and the Sustainable Development Goals; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties including the private sector, governments and civil society; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
• Ensures implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Directs research and programme evaluation on business and the Sustainable Development Goals and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development; reviews the assessments of progress, trends and gaps in the uptake of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change by business, preparation of evaluations and research activities and studies on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
• Undertakes survey initiatives on corporate sustainability; guides design of data collection instruments; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications in relation to business and sustainable development.
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences including UN intergovernmental meetings and UN Global Compact flagship events, proposes agenda topics, identifies participants, prepares background documents and presentations.
• Manages outreach activities to promote the work of the UN Global Compact to business; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, and makes presentations on business and sustainable development.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding including preparation and submissions of budget proposals, progress reports and financial statements. and ensures preparation of related documents/reports in accordance with the Global Compact’s business model and budgeting cycles. Serves as an effective spokesperson for the Global Compact initiative and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Ensures effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; Guides, evaluates and mentors staff
• May perform other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between an Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Source of the job information: CAREERS.UN.ORG